Prospect High School PTSA sets aside a portion of its annual budget to fund teacher requests or grants for purchase of classroom equipment or items needed to improve the educational environment for teachers and students. These funds help to supplement district and school-site funding. These grants are for one-time funding annually. Additional funding for the same or similar requests need to be resubmitted for each calendar year. Requests are reviewed and voted on by PTSA board members, the school principal, and parents/students/teachers attending the executive meeting.
Teacher Grants Awarded 2019-20
We had a great response to our teacher grants this year. We budgeted $4000 for this and we got a total of 23 grant requests. PTSA ended up funding grants totaling $2223 and the rest of the grants were able to be funded by Donors Choose which was a source of funding that Mr. Pinza had access to this year.
The items that PTSA approved and have been reimbursed to the teachers are:
- Mr. Stevens (English) – literature books for his classroom $250
- Mr. Alapont (Math) — supplies to work with the new dry-erase desks $54.60
- Ms. Chu (Math) – supplementary activities from “Teacher pays teacher” website $178.78
- Mr. Alayoubi (Science) –an aquarium to add to his classroom $250
- Ms Kim (World Languages) – Apple USB drives $162.49
- Mr. Liu (Math) – supplementary trig/geometry teaching tools $205.13
- Mr. Rodriguez (Music) – repair supplies for guitars and amplification equipment for the bands to use during sporting events and rallies $246.06
- Ms. Hylbert (Cassy counselor)- art supplies to be used for therapy $250
- Ms. Ulrich (Visual Arts) – class subscription to Scholastic Art magazine $118.80
- Ms Maxwell and Ms. Kehres (Special Ed) – taking students on a field trip to the CA Academy of Science, which has been postponed to next year $292.50 (teachers combined their grants)
Thank you from Ms. Chu in the math department: “Thank you and please convey my sincere gratitude to the full PTSA for being able to support teachers. The grant goes beyond just the monetary support. It’s yet another way for us to feel our work is worthy and trusted!”
Teacher Grants Awarded 2018-19
Teacher Grants Awarded 2017-18
- Art – Julie Coke: $114.01 for subscription price of the magazine used by Art 1-4 for 1 year
- Art – Brianne Dawson: $227.25 for several tools to be used for the 3D art class.
- English – Roberta Lynch: $250 for subscription to typing club and keyboard covers to teach typing.
- World Language – Winnie Tung: $230 for privacy shields, Pocket charts, answer buzzers and grouping cues to create questions and write essays.
- Performing Arts – Kurt Meeker: $408.80 for better light quality/color for rehearsal and meeting and saving energy. The price is for one Osram Kreios flx90 light and the goal is to eventually get 12 over time.
- Math – Susan Peck: $500 for purchase of data collection devices that work with the classroom sets of Ti graphing calculators we purchased two years ago.
- Special Education – Marie-Julie Murray: $500 for small appliances to teach cooking life skills to handicapped students.
- Art/3D Design – Mark Fisher: $251 for a router which will be used for several projects including this year to build a ukulele project.